Pacific Syndromic Surveillance System Weekly Bulletin
COVID-19 – Cook Islands, Fiji, EFM, Palau
Acute fever and rash (AFR) – Fiji, Kiribati
Influenza-Like Syndrome (ILI) – Kiribati
Influenza-like illness (ILI)
PSSS, EPI – WK 16, 2022 Influenza-like illness (ILI) cases compared to WK 15, 2022 ILI cases are shown below for comparison. For additional perspective on the numbers and percentage trends, national sentinel sites reporting for WK 15 and 16 are also shown.
- A real increase in the number of ILI cases is seen in Kiribati and Fiji. The increase observed in New Caledonia and the FSMs may be due to the increase in the number of sites reported for the week.
- A reduction in ILI cases was seen in the CNMI for the week.
- No change was seen in the number of ILI cases in Palau for the week.
- No ILI cases were reported for the week in the Cook Islands, Niue, Pitcairn Islands, RMI and Tokelau
- No reports were available for French Polynesia, Solomon Islands, Wallis and Futuna, Tonga, Vanuatu, Tuvalu and Samoa for the week.
- American Samoa, Guam and Nauru did not participate in the monitoring.
- Surveillance figures are not intended to capture all cases in countries, but to describe trends over time and are invaluable when trends exceed country baselines, which should then trigger alerts and action. timely to characterize the true nature and extent of the disease.
Maintain influenza surveillance and monitor SARS-CoV-2 by adapting the Global Influenza Surveillance and Response System (GISRS) and sentinel systems during the COVID-19 pandemic: Provisional advice
WHO guidelines for implementation of influenza and SARS-CoV-2 multiplex RT-PCR test in integrated influenza and COVID-19 surveillance Refer here
The Australian Science Media Center recently held a briefing on influenza in the time of COVID. Please refer here
As of April 28, 2022, a total of 512,020,585 cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed, including 6,255,478 (1%) deaths and 465,777,479 (99%) recoveries in 215 countries and territories. Of these, currently 39,945,580 (99.9%) are mild cases and 42,048 (0.1%) are severe cases.
As of April 28, 2022, in the Western Pacific region, there were 54,185,355 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 224,175 deaths.
Pacific Island Countries COVID-19 Situation Report as follows: