Canberra’s residential construction industry to pick up on Friday | Canberra weather

0

news, latest news,

The residential construction industry will pick up on Friday as scheduled, Chief Minister Andrew Barr said. Mr Barr said strict COVID safety requirements would be in place to reduce risks to workers. “There should be no interaction between workers and residents within a construction site, a renovation site, any premises,” Barr said. Mr Barr said the security guidelines for ACT reflected what was in place in NSW. Large-scale sites were allowed to reopen last week. Industry stakeholders had said it was unfair that residential construction was excluded from this reopening. ACT Master Builders Association chief executive Michael Hopkins welcomed the reopening, but said the association was still concerned about the limitations of some new projects, saying it would impact smaller operators. “Since the large-scale projects reopened last Friday, the construction industry has demonstrated that it can operate safely and meet very stringent COVID-19 safety requirements,” Hopkins said. Mr Hopkins said there would be limits on the number of workers on new home and renovation projects. Projects that started before the August 12 lockdown could be completed, he said. “New renovation projects such as bathroom renovations will not be allowed to start in premises occupied by residents if the project has not already started. This will put great financial pressure on the smaller businesses in our area. sector, ”Mr. Hopkins said. Opposition Leader Elizabeth Lee told the Canberra Times earlier this week that ACT companies need more certainty on the way forward to come out of the lockdown. “There is no doubt that the Delta variant is a different beast. And we are seeing various jurisdictions in Australia, which are starting to recognize and deal with the fact that we may have to deal with this variant in the long term,” said Mrs. Lee. . “And if so, what does that transition look like, the safe transition out of lockdown.” Barr stressed on Wednesday that ACT would only gradually ease restrictions, in order to limit the risk of a large-scale virus outbreak in a largely unvaccinated community. The ACT reported 20 new cases of COVID-19 within 24 hours to 8 p.m. Tuesday. Mr Barr said last week that a reopening of the industry hinged on ACT’s COVID situation, saying any worsening could contribute to a further delay. “Regarding the construction sector, the partial reopening of the sector was described last week and it will start this Friday as part of the strict requirements of COVIDSafe. These requirements will be actively enforced by WorkSafe ACT and ACT Policing,” a Mr Barr said. “The government will continue its detailed work this week with industry stakeholders on the necessary stringent COVID security requirements that would allow other parts of the construction sector – such as the residential construction sector – to resume from September 10, subject to public health. situation does not deteriorate by then. “Our coverage of the health and safety aspects of this COVID-19 outbreak in ACT and lockdown is free for everyone. However, we depend on subscription income for support our journalism. If you can, subscribe here. If you have already subscribed, thank you for your support. You can also subscribe to our newsletters for regular updates. Our journalists work hard to provide local news and update to the community. Here’s how you can continue to access our trusted content:

/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/3BUUzmFAhrhLyX9rFCubPq5/4cf5040f-2dd7-4add-8ee8-3dc58244b739.jpg/r1_250_4893_3014_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.